Eco-friendly Packaging is the next move from perfection to excellence.
Eco-friendly packaging is your next move to take your packaging from great to just perfect. Every company in the 21st century has a due obligation to make sure they are doing everything possible to be sustainable in their packaging.
Westmount is doing everything possible to help you to move from the old to the new and keep innovating to keep ahead of the game. Remember, your packaging is one of the key faces of your brand.
The big difference's that affect you.
Eco-friendly packaging mainly revolves around one thing, and that's the move from plastic to paper.
Many packaging materials that you buy today are full of "virgin" (brand new plastic beads) plastic that is extremely harmful to the environment as they take a long time to bio-degrade in the wrong environments. Although we make sure all our plastic packaging materials are 100% recycled and made from as much recycled content as possible it's sometimes impossible to keep the product qualities using recycled content.
Instead we are coming up with paper alternatives that are made out of recycled materials, are 100% recyclable and easily bio-degrade back in the environment if not disposed of correctly. All of these products have similar properties to their predecessors allowing them to be used in the same environments with less hassle.
Plastic packaging tax.
We've done a whole post about the plastic packaging tax in 2022 here. But read on below for a short summary.
One of the key factors that's driving this change to eco-friendly packaging is the fact that the UK government and many other governments across the globe are bringing in new laws to ban the use of single-use plastic and tax those that create waste from plastic packaging.
In May 2022 the UK government will introduce a tax on plastic packaging waste. If your packaging fits the following criteria, you will be exempt from paying this tax.
- Packaging materials should be 100% recyclable and made from at least 33% recycled content.
- If you produce less than 10tons of plastic packaging waste per annum.
If your packaging doesn't fit into those criteria you can expect to see a tax of £200 per ton of waste and also sharp rises in price on a wide range of your packaging materials.
Mitigating the risk and saving the environment.
To keep things short and sweet, here's a list of things you can do to make sure you are being eco-friendly with your packaging.
1. Speak to us and get a free 30 minute evaluation on-site (Covid safe mind you!) of your packaging to make sure your packaging is eco-friendly.
2. Speak to your current packaging supplier to make sure your products are: made from at least 33% (should be more like 50%) recycled content and are fully recyclable.
3. Switch as many of your packaging products from plastic to eco-friendly alternatives now so that you aren't rushed off your feet trying to do it nearer 2022. The quicker you change, the faster we save the environment. Do your bit.
4. If you can't source an eco-friendly alternative for your packaging, speak to us because we'll find the alternative for you ????
Get in touch today, or if your ready - go ahead and order!